Monday, March 31, 2008

feeling old

Two of my former students got married over the weekend. Talk about something making you feel old. Granted, I knew them as teenagers so the years haven't gone by too far, but it still made me feel a little older.

It also made me appreciate living and teaching in a small community. The mom owns the salon where I get my hair cut, and the dad owns the company that did the air conditioning in the house I live in. I also happen to be a teacher/case manager of the youngest sibling. It feels good to be a part of the community in where I work. When I go to the grocery, I know half of the cashiers and stock boys. I am frequently served by former and current students when I decide to clog my arteries at the McDonald's drive thru. Trips to restaurants and any local businesses often turn into impromptu parent conferences. I know many teachers who don't like that and want nothing to do with their students outside of the classroom. Not me. They're an important part of my life and for many of them, I might be the only adult that treats them with any respect. That in itself makes it worth it.

No comments: