Wednesday, May 28, 2008

endings & beginnings

School is almost done! And there was much rejoicing. End of the year exams start tomorrow, and the last day for students is June 4th (teachers get out on the 6th). It's been an interesting year. I really struggled with whether or not I wanted to stay in teaching. Reasons not too - Freshmen, lack of pay, getting up at the butt-crack of dawn, lack of competent decision making by administrators, general stupidity and apathy of teenagers. Reasons to stay - summer break, spring break, Christmas break. All in all, it's not that bad. I've been allowed to be myself at my school and am accepted. I can have my long hair and wear Vans. I have a fan club. Yes, the pay sucks and is only going to get worse. But I have to ask myself if I would be truly happy doing anything else, and I can honestly say, "no". I really do like working with teenagers, and enough of them show me appreciation to make it worth staying.

As I said before, I cut off about 10 inches of my hair. Sometimes I look at myself and regret it, but I know it'll grow back. Speaking of hair, I am going to try something new next Monday - getting my legs waxed! I've been shaving for 20 years - it caused quite a stir in the Freshman dorm at MVNC - and I'm kinda getting tired of it. Yet I can't stand any hair on my legs at all. Visions of "40-year Old Virgin" dance in my head when I think about it...

Well, I tried something I thought I would never do over Memorial Day weekend. I went to the Dallas Bull, which is a country bar/dancing club in Tampa. Stephanie really wanted to go dancing, and that's where she wanted to go. In all honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was very surprised by the diversity of the crowd - young college kids all the way up to some good ol' cowboys. And they were happy. Most people I have seen at other clubs are usually massively depressed or angry. These people weren't. It was kinda refreshing. I'm honestly thinking about taking line-dancing and couples dancing lessons. Egads!

No comments: