Tuesday, May 13, 2008

back to the grind

Well, I'm back. Had to take a break for a while as my computer went on the fritz. It has been returned, so I can write again.

Another sign that you're getting old - mysterious injuries. About 9 years ago, I began to have problems with my lower back. To start with, I lean. One leg is shorter than the other and I have mild scoliosis, so I lean to one side. If I'm ever lost in a desert, I'm screwed. Anyway, one night about 9 years ago, I bent over to lift the toilet seat and it felt like someone wrung out my lower back like a wet wash cloth. Being the stubborn man that I am, a few days later I played a game of tackle football with some rather large boys from my youth group. The next day, I could not get out of bed. After many weeks of chiropractic treatment, things were better. However, the chiropractor told me that I would have problems with this for the rest of my life.

Well, the rest of my life popped up in November. I hit a patch of sand on my bike and although I did not fall, I twisted rather awkwardly to not fall. The next day, my back was rather sore and painful. The pain and stiffness did not go away, so back to the chiropractor I went. The treatments went well but I have to have a monthly adjustment.

How does this all lead to "mysterious injuries" you may ask. Well, here goes. Last Wednesday, I went to bed with no problems. When I went to get out of bed Thursday morning, I couldn't move. I ended up in bed for two days. I'm better now (I'm not dead yet), but to twist your back in your sleep is not a good thing.

No comments: